Media & Entertainment
Media & Entertainment
We have advised both free and pay TV stations as well as radio stations on a variety of legal issues including applications for licensing, advertising agreements, advertising regulations, programming and intellectual property rights, and matters relating to the restructuring of media company activities. We also provide advice to telecommunications operators newly entering the market as providers of audio-visual material to consumers.
We have advised foreign program producers and holders of programming rights on Greek statutory requirements and on their relations with Greek TV stations, agents and distributors. We advise commercial companies on a regular basis, on issues relating to their relationship with their advertising agencies and the content of their advertisements and publications in the media. Respectively, we have assisted advertising agencies regarding regulatory matters and the compliance of their work with the Greek legal framework. In addition, we have experience in movie and television productions, such as agreements with producers and directors, as well as distributors of films and other similar productions.
Our experience in media and commercial law was the primary reason our firm was selected by the Organising Committee for the Olympic Games - Athens 2004 to advise on the selection of the broadcaster of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. We monitored the relevant tender, drafted and negotiated the contracts for the broadcasting of the Games and the operation of the International Broadcasting Centre, and provided advice on a full array of legal and tax issues.
Our firm has advised:
- The Greek television channel Alpha TV, while controlled by a reputable German media group, on a variety of legal and tax issues regarding the operation of television stations in Greece, relations with advertising agencies, advertising framework and all kinds of corporate, competition and litigation issues
- Universal Music and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on a variety of legal & tax issues pertaining to their activities in Greece
- Endemol on regulation compliance for the production and transmission of specific programs in Greece
- Comcast on the launch of "E!" TV station in Greece
- Supponor with respect to virtual advertising in Greece
- Walt Disney and Fox Kids Entertainment in relation to their activities in Greece
- On Demand with respect to carriage agreement with local broadcasting companies of the telecommunications sector (such as Samsung and OTE)
- European Broadcasting Union (EBU) on licensing of rights and royalties issues with Greek TV station
- Al Jazeera International regarding on the establishment of their Greek branch
- Geo Young & Rubicam with respect to media agreements and contracts with clients and suppliers
- NETMED (formerly NetHold Group) for more than six years on regulation compliance and the restructuring of its activities
- Scandinavian Broadcasting Systems (SBS) in relation to the acquisition of a Greek radio station, the structuring of its activities, regulatory compliance and regular activities of its radio station.