Banking & Finance
Banking & Finance
Our firm has extensive experience in assisting credit and financial institutions in a wide range of areas, such as:
- Regulatory advice (e.g. compliance with banking legislation, including, but not limited to, money laundering, banking secrecy laws, outsourcing, and filings with Bank of Greece)
- Payment services and e-money products
- Acquisition and disposal of distressed assets and NPLs ensuring regulatory, contract and consumer protection issues and compliance
- M&A involving credit and financial institutions: structuring, due diligence and negotiating transactional documents
- Structuring of private equity and other investments in Greek credit institutions
- Financing and refinancing structures including syndicated loans, bond loans and project finance
- Private banking, wealth management: development of conceptual planning solutions
Our ability to draw upon our specialists in other practice areas, such as tax, competition, employment, and litigation means that we can offer our clients an expert service on all aspects of finance and capital markets transactions. This, together with our business oriented approach, offers a critical competitive advantage when structuring and negotiating transactions.
The consistent quality and efficacy of our work in the credit and financial institutions and relevant services has been well-recognized by rankings and directories such as IFLR, Legal 500 and Chambers.
Clients we have acted for include, among others, Alpha Bank, American Express, Banco Commercial Portuguêes, Barclay’s, BNP Paribas, Credit Suisse, Edenred, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Moneygram, Morgan Stanley, Transact, UBS and Western Union.
Recapitalization and Restructuring of Greek Banking Sector
- Acting as advisor on matters of Greek law to the Joint Global Coordinators (HSBC Bank plc, Mediobanca-Banca di Credito Finanziario S.p.A. and Merrill Lynch International), to the Joint Bookrunners and to the Co-lead Managers in the latest recapitalization of Eurobank Ergasias S.A
- Advising one of the four Greek systemic banks on the Greek law aspects relating to the organization of the sale, through a bid process by the bank of one of its non-core banking subsidiaries, which is listed on Athens Exchange
- Advised ESM on issues related to a potential (partial or total) default of the Greek State
- Advised the Central Bank of Cyprus on the divestiture of the Greek operations of the three major Cypriot banks (Cyprus Popular Bank, Bank of Cyprus, and Hellenic Bank)
- Advised Banco Commercial Portuguêes on the sale of its Greek subsidiary, Millennium Bank to Piraeus Bank
- Advised Banco Commercial Portuguêes on the sale of its shares in Piraeus Bank
- Advised a major EU credit institution on the exchange of Greek state bonds in the context of Private Sector Involvement scheme.
Transfer of Loan Portfolios
- Advised Carrefour Credit in the restructuring of portfolio of consumer credit products with Alpha Bank, which transaction lasted for more than two years, and underwent through different structures with major legal and tax issues involved
- Advised Morgan Stanley on the first sale in Greece of charged off consumer debt.
Representation of Credit and Financial Institutions
- Advised Millennium Bank on a wide array of legal issues, including but not limited to, banking secrecy obligations, restructuring of major clients loans, and financing issues
- Advised Carrefour on the establishment of Carrefour Credit and thereon represented Carrefour Credit on several day to day issues.
Syndicated Loans, Bond Loans & Project Finance
- Advising Enel on the project financing (including bond loans) of a major wind farm project in Greece
- Advised Vestas on a syndicated loan relating to wind park projects, and explored novel arrangements for securities for project financing
- Advised Valeant on a syndicated loan in the context of a refinancing of the group operations
- Advised Arab Bank on several credit facilities related to project finance transactions
- Advised CQS Fund on the acquisition of listed guaranteed exchangeable notes of Euromedica Finance, a Luxembourg subsidiary of the listed Greek company Euromedica SA.