More specifically, our experience extends to:
- regulatory advice (e.g. compliance with aviation regulation, including but not limited to operation of airlines in Greece, AOC requirements, acquisition and registration of aircraft with HCAA)
- establishment of airlines in Greece
- financing and tax issues related to destination support activities, acquisition of aircraft and disposal/transfer thereof
- tax advice on a wide range of issues such as transfer pricing, VAT, CIT, and indirect taxes related to the operation and winding up of airlines in Greece
- advice and assistance in drafting and negotiating ground handling agreements
- development of standard contracts related to the operation of airports in Greece
- representing airlines before the courts in a wide range of disputes, involving litigation with the Greek State as to regulatory and tax aspects, as well as litigation with passengers and travel agents
- assistance in international transactions of international carriers or fleet management companies which involve Greek counterparts or create legal effects in Greece
- advice on a multitude of legal and tax issues, including financial and operation leases, registration, deregistration and repossession of aircrafts, and mortgage registration.
Clients we have acted for include, among others, Turkish Airlines, Delta Airlines, Danish Air Transport, NAC, Airbus, Volotea, Fraport, Jet2.com, Boeing, AAR, International Lease Finance Corporation (ILFC), Ansett, and Mitsui.
Indicative assignments include:
- representing Turkish Airlines in litigation (i) against defaulted travel agents and (ii) all passenger related litigation
- advising Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group, which is the concessionaire for the management, operation, maintenance and development of a portfolio of fourteen (14) peripheral Greek airports, on the transfer of the entire number of contracts related to the operation of these airports from the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority to the concessionaire
- assisting Volotea on the establishment of Greek branch and tax treatment of activities in Greece
- advising Airbus on several legal and tax issues related to proposed investments in Greece
- assisting NAC (i) on the acquisition of a passenger aircrafts fleet which was leased to Aegean Airlines (ii) on the transfer of a fleet (through a share deal) and the renegotiation of operating leases with Olympic (iii) on aircraft repossession following default of the lessee, as well as registration and deregistration of aircraft mortgages
- advising Boeing on legal and tax issues regarding activities of aircraft maintenance, repair and servicing support, spare part distribution, logistics, warehousing, training and testing of equipment, regulatory and licensing issues
- advising Delta Airlines on several legal aspects of its operations in Greece, including regulatory, labour and tax related matters
- representing a major Russian carrier in an action brought before the courts following an aircraft accident
- advising a major European insurance company and a major European aircraft manufacturer in a product liability and tort-related lawsuit
- advising Jet 2 on legal and tax issues related to its operations in Greece.