Agency & Distribution
Agency & Distribution
We have developed unparalleled experience and expertise in advising our clients on issues related to agency and distribution agreements in a wide spectrum of industries.
We focus on drafting and negotiating contracts with a view to each specific industry’s particularities and the client’s needs. Because significant number of our foreign clients conduct business in Greece through local agents or distributors, therefore advise our clients on legal and tax issues regarding agency and distribution agreements. We conduct negotiations and advise on all aspects regarding termination, and assist our clients with respect to related litigation when this occurs.
Foreign companies often establish their presence in Greece by acquiring their former agent or distributor. In such cases, we assist and guide our clients on every step of the relevant procedure from the termination of the agency/distribution agreement to legal due diligence, and regarding the final merger or acquisition agreement. Our firm has advised many of the world’s largest companies in this field.
An indicative list of clients that we have advised and supported on several issues related to distribution and/or agency relationships includes the following:
- Carrefour Marinopoulos: advice with respect to disputes with members of its franchise network. Our involvement consisted of provision of legal support in all instances of antitrust litigation (Hellenic Competition Commission, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court)
- AB Vasilopoulos (subsidiary of the multinational supermarket chain Delhaize): assistance towards the establishment of one of the largest franchise networks in the retail sector
- Grupo Modelo, the multinational Mexican brewery that produces Corona beer: assistance in terminating an agreement with a former distributor and establishing a long term distribution relationship with Carlsberg
- Texaco Lubricants: assistance in the legal assessment of the termination of a long established lubricants distribution network, as a result of the exit of the company from the Greek market
- BIC Violex: drafted its template agency/distribution contracts for the Greek retail and wholesale market and provided advice on day-to-day compliance issues
- Pearson Education, a leading publisher of foreign language books: assistance in major antitrust litigation related to its exclusivity contract with a Greek distributor
- Luxottica Group, the world market leader in the industry of sun glasses: advised with respect to their distribution contracts with Greek retailers
- Europcar, a multinational car rental company: advised regarding adjusting its franchise contract to Greek compliance standards and to the termination of a master franchisee
- Sony Corporation: assistance in the evaluation of its selective distribution network in Greece and the alignment of its contracts with Greek law
- LVMH Perfumes and Cosmetics: reviewed and assessed the current distribution network and proposed amendments to the template distribution agreements
- Philips Hellas: provided assistance in drafting and negotiating the contracts with its local distributors, as well as in terminating a current distributor and representing the client in the relevant litigation proceedings
- Ricoh Europe: assistance in the legal assessment and evaluation of its distribution agreements and its compliance with Greek law
- L’Oreal: we drafted new template distribution agreements and provided advice as to the relevant legal framework.
- Zimmer Biomet, a leading orthopedics company listed in NYSE: advised the company and implemented all steps related to the full restructuring of its distribution model in Greece, including the termination of its distribution agreement and the establishment of new agency cooperation
- Sandoz, a large generics multinational: provided assistance in regard to its distribution arrangements in the greek market
- Bausch & Lomb, a large medical devices company: supported the company with the legal assessment and evaluation of its distribution agreements and with the negotiation of the related termination and compensation rights under Greek law
- Swarovski Hellas, a premier jewelry and accessories brand: evaluated and advised on the termination process and potential claims related to the distribution contract with a Greek distributor
- Sanofi Pasteur, a large pharmaceutical company: advised the company on the commercial and tax aspects of different distribution arrangements.