Agency & Distribution
Agency & Distribution
We focus on drafting and negotiating contracts with a view to each specific industry’s particularities and the client’s needs. A significant number of our foreign clients conduct business in Greece through local agents or distributors. We therefore advise our clients on legal and tax issues regarding agency and distribution agreements, we conduct negotiations and advise on all aspects regarding termination and assist our clients with respect to related litigation when this occurs.
Foreign companies often establish their presence in Greece by acquiring their former agent or distributor. In such cases, we assist and guide our clients on every step of the relevant procedure from the termination of the agency/distribution agreement to legal due diligence, and in what regards the final merger or acquisition agreement. Our firm has advised many of the world’s largest companies in this field.
An indicative list of clients that we have advised and supported on several issues related to distribution and/or agency relationships includes the following:
- Carrefour Marinopoulos: we provided advice with respect to disputes with members of its franchise network. Our involvement consisted of provision of legal support in all instances of antitrust litigation (Hellenic Competition Commission, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court)
- AB Vasilopoulos (subsidiary of the multinational supermarket chain Delhaize): we provided assistance towards the establishment of one of the largest franchise networks in the retail sector
- Grupo Modelo, the multinational Mexican brewery that produces Corona beer: we provided assistance in terminating an agreement with former distributor and establishing a long term distribution relationship with Carlsberg
- Texaco Lubricants: we provided assistance in the legal assessment of the termination of a long established lubricants distribution network, as a result of the exit of the company from the Greek market
- BIC Violex: we drafted its template agency/distribution contracts for the Greek retail and wholesale market and provided advice on day to day compliance issues
- Pearson Education, a leading publisher of foreign language books: we provided assistance in a major antitrust litigation related to its exclusivity contract with a Greek distributor
- Luxottica Group, the world market leader in the industry of sun glasses: we advised with respect to their distribution contracts with Greek retailers
- Europcar, a multinational car rental company: we advised with respect to adjusting its franchise contract to Greek compliance standards and to the termination of a master franchisee
- Sony Corporation: we provided assistance in the evaluation of its selective distribution network in Greece and the alignment of its contracts with Greek law
- LVMH Perfumes and Cosmetics: we reviewed and assessed the current distribution network and proposed amendments to the template distribution agreements
- Philips Hellas: we provided assistance in drafting and negotiating the contracts with its local distributors, as well as in terminating a current distributor and representing the client in the relevant litigation proceedings
- Ricoh Europe: we provided assistance in the legal assessment and evaluation of its distribution agreements and their compliance with Greek law
- L’Oreal: we drafted new template distribution agreements and provided advice as to the relevant legal framework.