Our firm has extensive experience in environmental law. We advise clients, most often international entities and International Organisations such as the OECD, on environmental as well as planning and zoning matters. Our firm’s expertise covers issues relating to waste management, recycling, transportation and storage of dangerous goods, climate change and renewable energy.
More specifically, we often advise with respect to the environmental and planning requirements associated with the development of large scale real estate projects (including retail centres, cultural centres and industrial sites) in close cooperation with our real estate and tax practice group. We have also regularly assisted clients in connection with environmental due diligence and the transactional advice which is required for the closing of various cross-border deals, having dealt with, among others, large scale energy projects such as pipelines and gas storage terminals.
Our environmental law practice also covers issues such as waste management, recycling, transportation and storage of goods, including hazardous materials.
Our firm is also a regular contributor to the multijurisdictional surveys conducted by the World Bank on environmentally sensitive issues such as the use of water for irrigation and other activities, and the long-term viability of the models used.
To illustrate our experience, we note below the provision of advice to the following entities:
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development) with respect to the extended and detailed review of environmental legislation in Greece aiming at the reduction of existing administrative burdens
- Fosun Group with respect to the environmental and licensing aspects of a due diligence within the context of acquisition of a major Greek pharmaceuticals Company
- Alstom with respect to the environmental due diligence of EESTY, the Rolling Stock Company of OSE, the Hellenic Railway Company
- TUI and Thomas Cook with respect to the regulatory and environmental due diligence of various hotels in Greece
- An international bank with respect to the environmental obligations and potential liabilities stemming from its oil trading and transportation activities
- A leading international courier company with respect to environmental and regulatory obligations, stemming from the storage and transport of hazardous materials
- One of the most prominent seismic survey companies with respect to the environmental aspects relating to oil extraction activities in Greece including the import, export and treatment of hazardous and other materials, data residency issues etc.
- Nucor Corporation, one of the largest US steel industries, with respect to the environmental due diligence of companies of Sidenor group
- EADS with respect to the environmental due diligence of a major injection mouldings and pressure die casting company in Greece (Technika Plastika)
- Chevron with respect to the environmental, city planning, zoning and other licensing requirements relating to the construction of an oil pipeline in Greece, as well as with respect to the environmental issues and liabilities arising from the transfer of the Company’s terminal
- Shah Deniz Consortium with respect to the environmental and planning aspects of the construction of the TAP pipeline which will pass through Greece
- Texaco with respect to the environmental and licensing issues relating to the operation of terminal facilities
- A major international company in relation to the due diligence of the regulatory and environmental aspects of a floating gas terminal in Greece
- Blue Circle Industries (BCI) with respect to the environmental and planning due diligence of the industrial sites of Heracles – Halkis Cement Group (now Lafarge)
- ICE Clear Europe Ltd with respect to the qualification of tradable emission allowances under Greek law and the implications arising from unauthorised transactions of such allowances
- Avnet, Grundfos, Media Saturn, Mitsubishi, Nikon Nokia, ViewSonic, Western Digital and Robert Bosch with respect to the implementation of WEEE and RoHS Directives in Greece
- Various private individuals with respect to the regulatory aspects stemming from the exploitation of their real estate properties as tourist sites.